KR Abbott Tax and Accounting Solutions
All your Tax and Accounting Solutions in one place

US Taxes


Many U.S. citizens, living in Canada, have been unaware of their US tax filing requirements or puzzled about what they need to do and where to start.

Additionally, Canadian citizens who have U.S. income, either through employment or a property located in the U.S., may not realize that they too are required to file a U.S. income tax return on those earnings.


We are here to help!!!

There are three distinct filing requirements for all U.S. citizens, even if you live outside of the United States.

  1. The IRS requires all U.S. citizens to file a U.S. income tax return annually and report their worldwide income.
  2. Specific U.S. Information Returns are also required to be filed by U.S. citizens who have a RRSP, Tax-free Saving account (TFSA) and or a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
  3. All U.S. citizens are required to submit a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. (FBAR) if they have one or more accounts located outside of the USA and those combined balances exceed $10,000.00.US


U.S.A. citizens living and working in Canada (Non Resident citizens)

·         must file a U.S. tax return and report worldwide income in addition to the Canadian Tax return required in Canada

·         in most cases, due  to foreign tax credits and the Tax Treaty between Canada and the U.S. there is little or no additional U.S. tax to pay.

·         for non-residents, your U.S. tax return is due by June 15 each year.  A further extension is available to October 15 (if applied for by April 15)

Canadian citizens with rental property or other earnings in the US (non-resident aliens)

·         the IRS requires Canadian citizens who earn income within the US to file a non-resident tax return declaring that income.

·         You will be required to have a US Individualized taxpayer Identification number (ITIN) in order to file.

·         The deadline to file the US non-resident tax return is June 15th each year


Canadian and US citizens living and working in the US (resident aliens and resident citizens)

·         all citizens, foreign or resident, earning income within the US must file a resident tax return

·         the deadline to file a US resident income  tax return is April 15th each year


Contact us:                           

Phone: 519-662-1857      Fax: 519-662-2166       


                 Physical Address:       205 Peel St. New Hamburg, ON  (beside Zion Church)      

            Mailing Address:      PO Box 6003, New Hamburg, ON N3A1E7